Homemade Cards-A Special Touch

A Homemade Card, like ones I make with my Cricut Machine, gives recipients a special feeling, they know I planned ahead for their special occasion and took the time and care to create a greeting card just for them. I have sent out many of the cards featured in this blog and I get wonderful thank you's back, expressing how nice it was to receive a beautiful and homemade card.


Thursday, February 24, 2011

Cricut Card Ideas for Making An Invitation

Having a Cricut machine gives you the perfect way to create homemade invitations like birthday invitations, anniversary invitations, reunion party invitations, bridal and baby shower invitations, and holiday party invitations...I went through my Cricut Cartridges looking for ideas and came up with a design.  Using my Cricut Create machine, a crafter's dream I might add, I was able to cut the entire card very quickly, once I had the design.
Of course, as with any card, the colors chosen are a personal choice. That is what is great about the Cricut machine, once you have a decided on a design, you've come up with a card making idea, you could literally make dozens of different cards based on the same design.

To start your Cricut Card idea project 

One of the smartest ideas I've read is to cut shapes and layout your design using plain white cardstock, the kind you can purchase from a scrapbook supply store or a store with scrapbooking supplies. That way you don't waste your colored and printed cardstock. I did that first on this project and determined which shapes I wanted, then I cut them all out as shown

For this card I would recommend a heavier cardstock for the cutouts as the intricate patterns will rip when the Cricut Machine is cutting them. For the printed background on the front, use a normal weight cardstock.

Design Specifics
I was trying to use only the one Sweethearts cartridge; however, for the use of the word (Party) on the inside, I had to go to the Simply Charmed cartridge for the phrase.  If you have a stamp to use instead, you could use the Sweethearts cartridge only for the cutouts.
Speed: Medium
Pressure: Max
Blade Depth: #2
Paper: Cardstock: 2 coordinating patterns and 3 solid coordinating colors
Cartridges: Simply Charmed & Sweethearts
 





Card Front Cutouts

Cut 1 of the patterned cardstock to a 3 1/2 x 5 1/4" size.
Cartridge: Sweethearts
From White cardstock: Cut 1 <Cartoche> (page 74) Shift Key, Shadow Key, Size 2 3/4"
From Green cardstock: Cut 1 <Cartoche> (page 74) Shift Key, Shadow Key, Size 2 1/2"
From Orange cardstock: Cut 1 <Cartoche> (page 74) Shift Key, Shadow Key, Size 2 1/4"
From Green Cardstock: Cut 1 <Invited> (page 50) Shift Key, Shadow Key, Size 1 1/2"
From White Cardstock: Cut 1 <Invited> (page 50) Shift Key, No Shadow, Size 1 1/2"
From Green Cardstock: Cut 1 <Corner> (page 78) Shadow Key, Size 2"
From the other Patterned Cardstock: Cut 1 <Corner> page 78) Shadow Key, Size 2"
From Orange Cardstock: Cut 1 <Corner> page 78) Size 2"
Cut out all the shapes, grab your adhesive (I suggest using clear adhesive dots and a fine point liquid glue) and affix them to the card front.

Affixing and Placement
Place the "shadow" cutouts first, then the more intricate cutout on top. This will create a 3D affect which is a great Cricut card idea to use. On each of the plain corners you could add a stamp depicting the type of invitation this is.
Place the corners into place as shown, or both corners on the left side as my final card shows. I tried opposite corners at first and it didn't work out right, so I switched. That is the one good thing about placing the shapes without adhesive first. 
Inside Your Cricut Card: Cutouts

Cartridge: Sweethearts
Cut 1 Patterned Cardstock <RSVP> Shadow Key, Size 2 1/4"
Cut 1 Green Cardstock <RSVP> Shadow Key, Size 2"
Cut 1 White Cardstock <RSVP> Size 2"
Cut 1 Orange Cardstock Stamp design, Page 49, <Letter/Stamp> Key, Shift Key,Shadow Key, Size 5 1/4"
Cut 1 White Cardstock Stamp design, Page 49, <Letter/Stamp> Key, Shift Key, Shadow Key, Size 5"
Cartridge: Simply Charmed
Cut 1 Patterned Cardstock (Party), Page 75, Word Key combined with <Balloon/PrtyHorn> Key, Shift Key, Size 2"
Cut 1 Green (Party) Page 75, Word Key combined with <Balloon/PrtyHorn> Key, Shift Key, Size 2"
Cut 1 White (Party) Page 75, Word Key combined with <Balloon/PrtyHorn> Key, Size 2"


Affix to the left of the inside of the card, the "RSVP" cutouts, placing the shadow cutouts first, then the more intricate cuts.
Affix to the inside of the card, the <Stamp> Cuts, bigger to smaller
Affix to the top right of the inside of the card, the <Party> Cutouts, off centering the two bottom cutouts, then affixing the top intricate one.

Almost Finished
On the inside of the card, you can choose stamps to depict what type of party this is going to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy comments, they let me know how I'm doing.

Quote of the Day

more Quotes