Homemade Cards-A Special Touch

A Homemade Card, like ones I make with my Cricut Machine, gives recipients a special feeling, they know I planned ahead for their special occasion and took the time and care to create a greeting card just for them. I have sent out many of the cards featured in this blog and I get wonderful thank you's back, expressing how nice it was to receive a beautiful and homemade card.


Saturday, March 19, 2011

Friday Fun: Easy to make Birthday Card


I needed to make a special young girl a birthday card and I just love the cutouts featured in the Cricut Cartridge Simply Charmed.  This cartridge has so many cute ideas for just about every holiday and occasion.  It is definitely a must-have for a beginner's collection.

Specifics:
Card Size: 5 1/2" x 4 1/4"
Blade Depth: 2
Speed: Medium
Pressure: Max

In the photos you will notice the birthday cake offset to the left, I was going to use the Cricut to cut out "Happy Birthday" then I decided to use an acrylic stamp on the cake itself. If you decide to use the cutout you will have to make the entire cake cutout a bit smaller, perhaps 3" so the letter can fit.

To be clear my directions will include the colors I used so that you can follow easily.

Because this cake has so many parts, you might want to assemble it with adhesive before adhering it to the green shadow cutout in Step 2.

Step 1
I cut a background piece of paper (Patterned)  5 1/4" x 4" and adhere to the card
 Step 2
I cut one Green<BdayCake>, page 74, Size 4", Shadow Key, No Shift. Adhere to the card
Step 3
I cut one Yellow <BdayCake>, page 74, Size 4", Layer 1 Key, No Shift. Adhere to the cake cutout.  Small "sprinkles" will also be cutout, same for later.
Step 4
I cut one Red <BdayCake>, page 74, Size 4", Layer 2, No Shift. Adhere to the cake cutout. Small "sprinkles" will also be cutout, save for later.
Step 5
I cut one Pink <BdayCake>, page 74, Size 4", Layer 3, No Shift.  Adhere to the cake cutout. Small "sprinkles" wil also be cutout, save for later.
Step 6
I cut one Green <BdayCake>, page 74, Size 4", Layer 4, No Shift.  Adhere to the cake cutout
Step 7
Here I stamped "Happy Birthday to you" to the Layer 4 cutout and adhered the "sprinkles" around the stamp.    If you are going to use the "Happy Birthday" cutout, using <BdayCake>, page 74, Word Key, then you can adhere the "sprinkles" now.  
This design was alot of fun to cutout and very easy.  As always a stiffer cardstock often works better for the more intricate designs.

Because I am still relatively a beginner, I don't have a large stock of acrylic stamps.  The one I used here was purchased at a discount store but if you want better results, Great acrylic stamps are available at Lynn Pratt's Stampin'Up website such as other popular sentiments including "Happy Birthday".  A good quality stamp makes the difference.
 

I sincerely appreciate your visit to my blog and I thank you; please continue to follow in the future.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you enjoy this project and give it a try for yourself.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy comments, they let me know how I'm doing.

Quote of the Day

more Quotes