For whatever the theme of my scrapbook layout, Cricut has a cutout that works perfectly with the scrapbook page theme and it is easy to make a great looking layout using the Cricut machine.
For the summer of 1997 I used kittens as a theme. Our kitty gave birth to 3 beautiful kittens and my young daughter loved them so much. We took alot of photos of the kittens that summer so I decided to make a scrapbook page out of it.
Because cutting paper is so easy using the Cricut machine, I decided to try cutting photos in interesting shapes too. It was so easy to do:
- I used the Sentimentals and Sweethearts Cricut Cartridges; two "definite need to have" cartridges for your collection.
- For each photo determine where the center of the area you want to see is.
- Use the Real Dial button and the Center Point Button. Stick the photo to your sticky mat then move the cutting blade to that center area you chose. The cutout will be all around the center point. If the Cricut machine tells you that you don't have enough room, use the arrow buttons around the cut button to reposition just a bit until the Cricut tells you it has enough room and begins to cut.
- To cut backgrounds that will peak out from behind the cut photo, cut the background a bit bigger. Example: For a photo sized 3 1/4", set the Cricut size to 3 1/2". For a photo sized 3 1/2", set the Cricut size to 3 3/4".
- The size on the Cricut Machine dial measures the width of the photo. For a landscape shaped photo, measure the height and use it on the Cricut Machine dial.
- For a large photo, use the Portrait Key, this will cut a portrait cutout, giving you the length you need.
I used the <Card1>, pg 65, <Label1>, pg 68, and <Label2>, pg 69, and for the biggest photo, I used <Crwstmp1>, pg 50.
- For a journaling cutout, I used <Crwstmp1>, pg 50
- For more intricate cutouts, like the kitty I used, turn the paper so the front is stuck to the sticky mat, that way any frayed edges will appear on the underside of your cardstock.
- The cardstock for this project should be of a heavier weight because of the intricate areas of the cat designs.
SPECIFICSCricut Cartridge: Sentimentals
Sorry no picture is available for this cartridge.
Cricut Cartridge: Sweethearts
Blade Depth: 2
Speed: Low to Medium
Cardstock: "Stack 7" by DCWV
- Layer and adhere each cutout starting with the largest cutout on the bottom.
- <Kitty>, pg 45 using only the keyboard kitty key, Size 2" and 1" (Top Kitty Layer)
- <Kitty>, pg 45 using the Shadow key and keyboard kitty key, Size 2" and 1" (Bottom Kitty Layer)
- Adhere the top layer to the bottom layer of the kitty and adhere to scrapbook layout.