Homemade Cards-A Special Touch

A Homemade Card, like ones I make with my Cricut Machine, gives recipients a special feeling, they know I planned ahead for their special occasion and took the time and care to create a greeting card just for them. I have sent out many of the cards featured in this blog and I get wonderful thank you's back, expressing how nice it was to receive a beautiful and homemade card.


Thursday, May 12, 2011

Scrapbook Layout for Cricut-May 12, 2011

Note: This was supposed to appear on 5/12 but Blogger had a problem.

In the summer of 1997 my family from Sacramento, California visited my home.  Included were my sister, brother-in-law, and my two nieces.  We had such a great time catching up and together with our mother, we spent alot of quality time.  We went to a local carnival and spent time in our backyard and pool.

For this scrapbooking idea layout I used the Simply Charmed Cricut Cartridge from Provo Craft along with my trusty Cricut Personal Cutting Machine. The Simply Charmed seems to be my favorite, where I can find almost any cutout I need, and I find myself using it over and over again. The pizza and beachball cutouts were so much fun to put together with amazing details and I hope my directions make it all that much easier.
The circles for the photo shapes were cut using a Creative Memories plastic circle. These circles along with small "bug" cutters are great for consistent shapes. The little "bug" has a blade which rides in a channel built into the circle shape. You simply hold onto the circle and slide the "bug" around along the channel. You might be able to find these types of shapes at your local scrapbooking supplies store; I wasn't able to locate them on the Creative Memories website.
I could have used a feature called "Center Point" on my Cricut Personal Cutting Machine. You position the cutting blade on the Cricut to be in the center of the part of the photo you want to cutout and the Cricut machine will cut the desired shape in the size you wish, around the center point. I, however, decided to use the Creative Memories shapes instead. Another alternative is to cut free-hand or using a bowl to draw the shape.
The Cricut Machine gives you all the tools and shapes you need for any layout and makes the project easy and beautiful looking, but in the absence of a mechanically drawn shape, you can always resort to hand drawn shapes.

SPECIFICS:
Cartridge: Simply Charmed
Blade Depth: #2
Pressure: High
Speed: Medium
Scrapbooking Cardstock: Use a heavier weight to accurately cut the tiny pizza ingredients.

You'll notice I used the same settings for most of my scrapbook layouts and Cricut cards, they seem to work the best for me.  You might want to experiment depending on the weight and texture of your scrapbooking cardstock. 


STEP 1
Cut your photos into the desired circle sizes. I cut my photos into both 2 1/2" circles and 3 1/2"circles. Then pre-arrange them on your 12x12 cardstock.
STEP 2
I used the Simply Charmed Cricut cartridge's Beachball to cutout the circle backgrounds for each photo. Cut one <Beachbal>, pg 51 for each circle. A 2 1/2" photo takes a 3 1/4" circle, and a 3 1/2" photo takes a 4 1/4" circle for the backgrounds.
STEP 3
For each Pizza layered cutout: 
Cut one <Pizza>, pg 76, 2", using Pizza Key for the mushrooms and crust.
STEP 4
Cut one <Pizza>, pg 76, 2", using Layer 1 & Pizza Key for the olives and layer on crust.
STEP 5
Cut one <Pizza>, pg 76, 2", using Layer 2 & Pizza Key for the cheese. Use the poking tool from the Cricut Essentials kit to open the eyes & mouth cuts.
STEP 6
Cut one <Pizza>, pg 76, 2", using Layer 3 & Pizza Key for the pepperoni & cheeks.
STEP 7
Cut one <Pizza>, pg 76, 2", using Layer 4 and Pizza Key for the peppers.
STEP 8
Cut one <Pizza>, pg 76, 2", using Shadow & Pizza Key for a bottom layer.
STEP 9
To assemble the pizza, from bottom to top layer: Step 8, 3, 4, 5, 6,7
STEP 10
For each Beachball layered cutout. 
Cut one <BeachBal>, pg 51, 2", using Beachball key for the base. Use a dark color as it will show thru the yellow eyes & mouth areas.
STEP 11
Cut one <Beachbal>, pg 51, 2", using Layer 1, Shift, & Beachball key for yellow part of the ball. Make sure eyes & mouth are cleared using the poking tool from the Cricut Essentials Kit.
STEP 12
Cut one <Beachbal>, pg 51, 2", using Layer 2, Shift, & Beachball key for red part of the ball.
STEP 13
Cut one <Beachbal>, pg 51, 2", using Layer 3, Shift, & Beachball key for cheeks and shadow on the ball.
STEP 14
Cut one <Beachbal>, pg 51, 2" using Layer 4, Shift & Beachball key for the green area on the ball.
STEP 15
 
Cut one <Beachbal>, pg 51, 2" using Shadow, Shift & Beachball key for background. (Sorry forgot to take photo of background but I used a red colored cardstock.
To assemble Beachball from bottom to top layer: Step 14, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
STEP 16

Cut out one extra white circle to use as your journaling area.

With each of these cutouts it does take a bit of practice to see why each layer has to be created. Quite often the cutout exists simply to show thru the cutout areas of a layer on top of it.
I sincerely appreciate your visit to my blog and I thank you; please click on the "become a follower" link to continue to follow in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy comments, they let me know how I'm doing.

Quote of the Day

more Quotes