Homemade Cards-A Special Touch

A Homemade Card, like ones I make with my Cricut Machine, gives recipients a special feeling, they know I planned ahead for their special occasion and took the time and care to create a greeting card just for them. I have sent out many of the cards featured in this blog and I get wonderful thank you's back, expressing how nice it was to receive a beautiful and homemade card.


Saturday, June 4, 2011

The Weekend Special

Yes, I admit it, I am a frugal person.  I'm the type to reuse paper towels, wash and clean slightly used tinfoil and I write notes on the backs of envelopes.  So when I started to create projects with my Cricut Create it naturally followed that even the smallest paper scraps be saved for that "just in case" moment.
For your visual pleasure:  Here is a wide shallow box full of scraps from my Cricut Scrapbooking Layouts and Cricut Cards.  Ive found that even the smallest piece of cardstock can come in handy when you want to cutout a small item.  Some of the paper is so pretty that I hate throwing it out.  
One piece of advice: before you save a piece of cardstock, cut off the areas which have been cutout.  If you don't, they tend to "hold on" to the other paper, causing difficulty in extracting the piece you want.  Squared off edges work much better.
I thought of this blog this morning when I was creating my daughter's birthday card (posting 6/10), I needed just two letters to cutout in a certain cardstock and low and behold there was a small piece of cardstock perfect for the job.
A Cutting Hint
When you use a large piece of cardstock with a small area open for cutting, you simply position the Cricut cutting blade right on the beginning of that spot and cut.  If you are cutting in the Landscape mode, the blade will start cutting right to left then down, staying close to the right margin.  If you are cutting in the Portrait mode, the blade will start cutting left to right then down, staying close to the left margin.  Quite often using the Portrait mode allows me to cut in an unused area to the left.
Benefits of the Flip Button
Some cardstock, especially thin, will fray.  When I need a piece of cardstock cut which tends to fray, I use the Flip button and turn the cardstock over.  The finished piece, when the cardstock is turned over, will look much better.  I use the Flip button alot when I am cutting out letters. 




I sincerely appreciate your visit to my blog and I thank you; please click on the "become a follower" link to continue to follow in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy comments, they let me know how I'm doing.

Quote of the Day

more Quotes